Sunday, July 29, 2012

beginning of 2012.

aaaand yes, i am that behind on life!! but the good news for you is, I have been living in a hotel room for the last 6 weeks and will continue to be for the next 4 and am determined to have our blog caught up by the time I make it out of our hotel home!! :) Come with me all the way back to January as I have a few events I'd like to share... The New Year is so special in Japan and their biggest and most celebrated holiday. Everything has tradition and meaning and is done with good luck for the new year always in mind. I was invited to a NY's party by a few of my students. I think they may have actually had the get together for me, but they made me feel like I was joining in on something really authentic at least. :)
the tradition when serving sake or another special beverage in Japan is you pour over the cup to show your generosity. They poured this delicious warm sake in this little tower of saucers until all the liquid in the first saucer has run over and then I had to clap my hands and do some little swishy thing and then drink it. weird? yes, but fun!
everyone took their turn from youngest to oldest.
then we move onto the food. i did try everything, can't say that i loved everything...
and as everything in Japan, each food group has a meaning. from bottom to top... Chestnuts - gold/money for the next year. Mame (beans) - working hard and being active. Kazunoko (fish eggs, not delicious) - many children (laid low on these, good thing they were not delicious. haha!). Tazukuri (dried fish, also not delicious) - longevity, long life. Hazu/remkon (lotus root) - you look through the circle on the lotus root for fortune and luck. Kamaboko (steamed ground fish, you can imagine what i thought of it) - red and white are lucky, celebratory colors. Kuwai (small potatoes) - hope that children grow up well. this was my face after trying one of the delicacies. God bless my students for having patience with this American!

No comments:

Post a Comment