Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Christmas-ed out!

The Christmas season is something I always look forward to, it's wonderful, beautiful, meaningful and eventful (sounded out: event-full). I/we attended 9 Christmas parties in a little more than 2 wks this year. Now, I like to party as much as the next girl, but geeze, a little ri.dic.u.lous. I was d.o.n.e. With so much Christmas hype going on and the hussle and bussle of presents and decor and candy and food, parties and functions, it really makes you realize what a culture of "doing" we are, instead a culture of "being."

I don't know that this is what Jesus hoped Christmas would become. A season that sometimes brings out the worst in us as we fight the crowds and shop the sales, wrap presents and send packages, prepare for Santa Clause to come or have 1,000 Christmas get-togethers that all have the pressure to bring the perfect gift to exchange. I don't know that he hoped we would be so tired and spent by the time Christmas actually came around that we were ready for it to be over and forget to actually celebrate in His birth, His life and the freedom that brings. The other night I was putting up my Christmas decorations and I have an adorable nativity set made of Kokeshi dolls (traditional Japanese wood painted dolls) that I was wrapping and putting in their box. I realized I had set that out a month ago and really hadn't looked at it again. It, as everything in my house, becomes something I work and live around, rather than something I notice and appreciate. I'm realizing I move and do and live and work and most days and just get by, rather than slow down my roll a little, and dare to be interrupted, or appreciate the little reminders of beauty and love in my life: like my little Japanese baby Jesus doll that reminds me why we celebrate Christmas or the hug from my husband "that I don't have time for" while I clean the kitchen, or the stop in visit from a neighbor that needs to talk, but I gotta get to the store before it closes. I want to be a human being not a human doing. This crazy Christmas season was a good reminder that i need to hit the slooooww down button a little more often and let myself just be. I am thankful for friends, I am thankful to have the opportunity to party and be busy and that life is full and not lonely. i'll try to slow down and appreciate a little better next year...here are a few pics to document the fun we did have this season with our Yokota Family...

Had my Japanese students over for a Christmas party...
Taught them the game of "Snoop" for their gift exchange. Because they are such a kind and polite culture it is really hard for them to steal or snoop on each other's gifts in gift exchanges...it's pretty cute.
#1 squadron Christmas party:
this is what happens when you live overseas and your clothing options are not only limited but near to impossible to find clothing that fits the American girl's curves. :) good thing we all like each other.
=love.
#2 squadron Christmas party:
yes, i am wearing the same dress as the last party, to put your mind at ease. kinda tacky i realize...but remember the above mention...limited options. :) crossed my fingers all the way to this party that i'd be the only one in it. :)
hey, at least the shirt is still on. baby steps. baby steps. :)
My culture club Christmas party:
They learned to line dance. Japanese women + country line dancing = awe.some.
We spent the Christmas holiday in Nagano again this year with about 40 others, shredding the powpow and having a great time. When it's just the two of you, you open presents for about 30 minutes and then just sit there and stare at them or each other. so we had more fun playing in the snow. But in true Chapman fashion, we would hate to miss a holiday dinner, an opportunity to make and eat everything that is bad for you aaaand you have an excuse to use real butter cause it's Christmas dinner! So we had a dinner for 16 friends that would also be skiing with us and we would hate for them to miss the opportunity for real butter also. so we did Christmas dinner before we left for the pow.
a white Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment